Attempting to add a new external repository (Azure blob storage container) to the Veeam Backup and Replication console throws the following error:
I’ve been testing Veeam and some of the new features recently. This time was the turn for the new Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure. However, there are many things I still don’t know about Azure. This is a new world for me, one that I am also excited to explore.
After you install and configure the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure VM and your Azure blob storage account, the next step is to add the storage repository you have configured. Here is where I am getting this error. The error is not only related to Veeam but for many products using the Azure Blob storage service.
This error is due to a missing and necessary configuration in Firewall and virtual networks. The client IP address has not been added to the firewall rules for the storage account.
The first thing to do is to access your Azure account.
- From Azure Home, select Storage accounts.
- Select the storage account you have linked with the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure service.
- On the storage account, go to Settings > Firewall and virtual networks.
- Click Selected networks (default).
- Make sure you have checked the Add your client IP address option. Or, add a new IP address in the box to allow access.
- Finally, click on Save.
- Another option is to allow access from All networks.
After adding IP addresses or all networks to allow access from the internet or your on-premise networks, you’ll be allowed to continue to the External Repository configuration. Or any other product that requires the connection to Azure storage accounts.